7.01.2015

Convos With My Kid

My child has been extra inquisitive lately, which, of course, isn't really different from any other day. 
 Pair that with her normal loquacious self...and you get a 4 year old little girl going on 25 (also knowN as MY CHILD).

A Lesson on Growing Up
A:  Mommy, when I grow up, I'm going to have to move.  I'm not going to live in this house anymore because I'll be a grown up.  But I'm still going to live in this neighborhood, OK?  Maybe I'll even be one of your neighbors!
M:  Well that's nice honey, I'd love for you to be one of my neighbors.
A:  But you know...I have to find an empty spot first.  I have to find an empty spot to live on and then build a house on it.  So I might not be able to live in this neighborhood and be your neighbor.  But I'll be able to live in Matt and Graham's neighborhood.  So whenever you come visit me, you can visit Matt and Graham, too!
M:  Well OK...that would be nice, too!

A Lesson on Likes and Dislikes
A:  What are we having for dinner?
M:  Spaghetti and meatballs.
A:  Well mommy, I'm not going to eat that.  I don't like spaghetti and meatballs.
M:  OK dear...
A:  I'll just have plain noodles with no sauce, some meatballs with no sauce, and some melty cheese on top.  Lots and lots of melty cheese!!
M:  So you want spaghetti and meatballs but with no sauce?
A:  Yes!  I LOVE spaghetti and meatballs!

Lessons on Learning that Mommy IS NOT as Smart as She Thought She Was
A:  Mommy, why is the sun pink today?  I thought the sun was way up in space and was always yellow....why is it pink?
** Cue me trying to explain to my four year old the concepts of space.  Followed by my child asking "Mommy, what if I want to be an astronaut when I grow up...how do I become an astronaut?"

A:  Mommy, why did all of that water and steam come flying out of that can after they boiled it?
** Cue me trying to explain to my four year old the few concepts of thermodynamics that I (vaguely) remember Mr. Manly teaching me in high school.

A:  Mommy, why do the flowers fall off the tree?
** Cue me to trying to explain to my four year old about plant science and also about flower-presses which she now, of course, wants one of her very own to press and save her own flowers and leaves.

I'm supposed to look these up later and get back to her....

Mommy, why do wasps sting?

Mommy, why is today NOT a weekend?  Who said Wednesday's can't be weekends?



If you're thinking about having children (or are already preparing for the impending doom looming in the next 1-9 months), you better brush up on your smarts...you're going to need them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment